The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

Burkhead Named Head Golf Coach

Kevin Burkhead
Kevin Burkhead posing in front of a golf course at the 150th Open Championship in St. Andrews, Scotland

Kevin Burkhead was named head coach of varsity golf on July 13, 2023. He comes to ACHS after retiring from his job teaching in Kentucky and accepting a job teaching special education in Fairfax County. 

Born and raised in Campbellsville, Kentucky, Burkhead attended University of Kentucky for his undergraduate degree. He then went to Ohio University where he achieved a Master’s degree in Special Education. After that, he went on to Western Kentucky University where he achieved a Master in Interscholastic Athletic Administration.

Burkhead started his golf career in 2003. “I was coaching youth baseball in the summer,” said Burkhead. “And one of my players [was] named JB Holmes, who was [an] outstanding young golfer. He would be a state individual champion and a SEC individual champion.” 

Shortly after he met Holmes, Burkhead accepted a position at Nelson County High School in Bardstown, Kentucky where he would coach for the next 18 seasons.

“My reason for coaching golf is that I want to be involved [in] something that [involves] young people and golf,” said Burkhead. “This was a great opportunity here at Alexandria City High School. I believe we can be very successful here and that is what we are going to be.”

The people he is coaching appreciate the hard work Burkhead puts in.

“He loves golf and is very passionate about coaching.” said Hannah Kidd, a senior and member of the varsity golf team. “He wants to help people improve their game and love for golf.”

His colleagues say something similar.

“Coach Burkhead brings an expansive knowledge base and a love of the game to Alexandria City,” said Director of Athletics Edmund “Berk” Stoy. “We believe that Coach Burkhead has the correct passion and experience to lead our Titans in the course.”

“Well, the team is young.” said Burkhead regarding his thoughts on the team thus far. “I feel we are getting better and gaining experience this season and that will help us in the future. We have some talented young players and I think our future is very bright.”

For those who are interested in starting to play golf, Burkhead says, “Golf is the most challenging game ever invented. So persistence is the key, never give up, keep working at it and you’ll find success on the course.”