The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

Matthew Perry: Life and Legacy

Matthew Perry sits in front of a red velvet background for People magazine / David M. Benett / Getty Images

On October 28, Matthew Perry, best known for his role in the hit TV show Friends, passed away in his Los Angeles home. The actor starred in movies like Fools Rush In, The Odd Couple and The Whole Nine Yards, but the true beginning of his legacy was in the 1990s, when Perry landed the Emmy-nominated role of Chandler Bing. Alongside his co-stars Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, David Schwimmer, Courteney Cox and Matt LeBlanc, the group made a simple sitcom into a cultural touchstone.

Perry’s contribution to Friends is what maintains its modern relatability. His portrayal of Chandler as the goofy, well-meaning guy who’s always there for his friends earned him the title of the show’s “comfort character.”

“It always made me happy to see Chandler on the screen of my TV, especially after a bad day at school. The way he cracked jokes consistently made me kinda forget everything I was sad about earlier that day,” said sophomore Michelle Reva-Tacher.

Chandler’s cheerfulness isn’t the only side that Perry nailed; it was also the way he painted the dark side of the character. This accomplishment was partially due to his struggle with addiction and difficult childhood. Perry’s addiction began with a move to Los Angeles alongside his actor father, John Bennett Perry. Like many Hollywood stars, the more fame his father received, the more he relied on drugs and alcohol just to get through a day of filming.

At first it was the fame Matthew Perry wanted. The appeal of the intangible. Then when he gained what he had wished for, he lost what was most important: himself.

“There was steam coming out of my ears; I wanted to be famous so badly. You want the attention, you want the bucks and you want the best seat in the restaurant. I didn’t think what the repercussions would be,” Perry told the New York Times in a [YEAR] interview.

After the highs and lows of Friends, Perry embarked on a new journey. He began playing in more serious movies. For instance, Perry starred as the titular role in “The Ron Clark Story,” which delivered him a Golden Globe and another Emmy nomination. Despite the fact that Perry’s talents were better showcased in this movie, it didn’t impact the teenagers of this generation the same way Friends did.

“I only really know Matthew Perry from Friends. I think most people only know him from that because of how lovable he was and how popular the show still is,” said sophomore Lia Desimone.

Even with his struggles, Perry delivered a beautiful character for people of all ages to relate to. Chandler’s portrayal will be instilled in pop culture for years to come Another part of the legacy he leaves behind is self-titled foundation and memoir, Friends, Lovers And the Big Terrible Thing have inspired many to help those struggling with addiction just as he did. That is the true part of the legacy Perry wanted to leave behind.

In 2022, Perry spoke about the last life fulfilling goal he had on the “Q with Tom Power” podcast.

“I’m going to live the rest of my life proving that addiction is far too powerful for anyone to defeat alone. But together, one day at a time, we can beat it together.”