The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

New Interim Track and Field Coach: a Spotlight on Adam Alderton

Photo of Adam Alderton

On November 6th, 2023, the Titan Athletics Instagram page announced that Michael Hughes retired as the indoor and outdoor track and field coach at ACHS. It was then announced that Adam Alderton would now serve as the interim indoor track and field head coach. 

The Instagram page stated, “Coach Hughes has given his heart and soul to this program and we thank him for all of the lives he has impacted.” The decision came as a surprise to many and was unexpected. 

Coach Alderton enters the position with it being his 5th season at ACHS and having 12 years of coaching experience at Wakefield High School where three of those years he was head coach. He is currently an 8th-grade PE teacher at George Washington Middle School.

“I have a passion for track and quite a few years of experience and opportunity.” Alderton said in response to why he decided to become the interim head coach. 

Alderton is delighted to lead his team and understands his new position. “I am excited for this new opportunity because I am excited to lead a great group of coaches and student-athletes. I want to challenge coaches and athletes.” 

When asked about whether or not the team will be better under his leadership, he said, “I don’t want to presume. I would like to think that I can lead and guide our team to improve. Good coaches have good athletes, if we find good athletes, we can develop them.”

Coach Aldreton’s favorite track and field event is the decathlon. Decathlon is 10 combined track and field events that take place over two days. Decathlon is not offered at the high school level in Virginia. Overall, this is a new step for the track and field team at ACHS.