The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

Titans triumph over Wolverines, 55-52

After last year’s regional semi-final loss to West Potomac, the Titans came back vengeful to get the win. On January 4, the ACHS varsity boys basketball team faced off against the Wolverines and defeated them 55-52. Both teams played extraordinarily well, with the game being decided in just the final seconds of the game. 

The Titans were led by senior Kye Robinson and sophomore Darius Bivins. Both had phenomenal performances, with Bivins putting on a defensive masterclass and Robinson reaching the milestone of 1,000 career points.

“I can’t describe the feeling; I’ve just always wanted 1,000 points since I was an 8th grader entering high school,” Robinson said. 

“[The milestone] gave the team an extra boost, and we all have been working to help him get it,” Bivins added.

Along with reaching the 1,000-point milestone, Robinson was the top scorer and ended the game with 26 points.

Although the game was close in the first half, the Titans took off in the third quarter and at one point led by 11. But when Robinson received his fourth foul and was forced to sub out, the lead evaporated. Fast forward to the middle of the fourth, and the Wolverines were up six.

Things only went down for West Potomac from there, though, as their run was halted by Darius Bivins and his several clutch steals in the last two minutes of the game.  The sophomore point guard is a dominant threat on both sides of the court with his elite play-making and dribbling skills, along with incredible defensive plays. “We put ourselves in a great position to win a lot of games,” he said. 

With this win, the Titans are looking very good with an 8-2 overall record and a 5-0 record in the Patriot district, which is arguably the toughest division in Virginia. Even with the win, there came some things that Head Coach Tyrone Sally feels the team needs to improve. 

“[We need to work on] boxing out and taking better care of the ball in late-game situations,” he said. 

Even so, he is proud.

“Our guys did what they always do, found a way to win the game.” 

The Titans and Wolverines will face off again on January 29th at 7:15 in ACHS’s gymnasium