The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

Battle for Patriot District Number 1 Seed: Titans v. Wolverines

Sophomore Darius Bivins, a top point guard in the DMV, finds his way into the paint. Cerberus photo by Lola Jeanne Carpio

On Monday January 29, the ACHS varsity boys basketball team will take on the West Potomac Wolverines. The last time these rivals faced off, the Titans came out on top in a very close game 55-52. Just like every time they play, you can expect tonight’s game to be a thriller filled with excitement and animosity. 

In the Titan’s win against the Wolverines on January 4, they were led by senior Kye Robinson, who reached the milestone of 1000 varsity points, and playmaking sophomore superstar Darius Bivins. The Titans have been playing phenomenal basketball all season with an overall record of 13-5, and they’re first in the district with a record of 9-1. 

However, there have recently been a few shortcomings with the Titans. In their last three  games, they are 1-2, with their first losses in almost a month coming from a close battle with nationally-ranked Jackson-Reed and an upset by Woodson. 

“[We can improve on] executing better throughout the game and trying to win more 50/50 ball situations,” said Head Coach Tyrone Sally. “[We] just [need to] play our style of basketball. It’s going to be a tough game but we will be fine.” 

The Wolverines are coming into this game off a recent loss to King’s Fork. 

“We have played a very tough schedule since our last game [against ACHS], and are trying to get healthy,” said Wolverines Head Coach David J. Houston. “We think the challenging schedule of very good teams will prepare us for a strong opponent like Alexandria City . . . We need to control the inside and do a better job of limiting what the really talented guards do for [them].”

The Wolverines have an overall record of 14-5 and a district record of 8-2 but are ranked second in the Patriot district under ACHS. With such close records, this game is important because it could help decide which team will get the first seed when playoffs begin.

“The team feels great. We know this game means a little bit more,” said Sally.