The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

Lucy & Lucy: Track Stars

Lucy Jones (left) and Lucy Keen are two phenomenal track athletes at ACHS. / Photos courtesy of Lucy Jones and Lucy Keen.

Lucy Jones

Lucy Jones poses after her big race. / Photo courtesy of Lucy Jones

A 28 year-old record was broken at ACHS on January 31 during day one of the Patriot District Indoor track & field championship by junior Lucy Jones. Remarkably, this is Jones’s first year competing in track & field, and it’s truly exceptional that she managed to achieve such an impressive record as it was only her 5th time racing the 3200 meter run. Formerly, this record was held by Jacqueline Ferrand in the year of 1996. 

As it turns out, racing runs in Jones’s family.

“My dad was a runner in England,” she said. “I think [that’s] what inspired me to start the sport.”

According to Jones, determination, focus, and pushing herself to the limit has driven her to run her best and hardest. 

“Running a race only consists of a few minutes, and making the most of those few minutes is what counts the most. [It] usually motivates me to run the best and hardest I can,” she said.

Jones also credits her team for her success. While many think of track as an individual sport with individual races, Jones has a different view, and says her team has pushed her to her fullest potential

“Teamwork is the biggest thing in the sport,” she said. “Without teamwork or collaboration you wouldn’t have a successful team . . . I wouldn’t be where I am today without my team.”

For Jones, whose college plans involve competing for a  division-one school, the best advice for track is to just run happily.

“The happier you are with the sport, I believe, the further you will go,” she said.

Lucy Keen

Lucy Keen takes part in a relay. / Photo courtesy of Lucy Keen

Our second Lucy is Lucy Keen, a sophomore track & field sprinter.

Keen began her track journey in elementary school and officially started running for ACHS in the eighth grade. This year is a significant milestone for Keen, as she entered her first ever Patriot District Championship meet.

During the majority of last year’s indoor season, Keen was out due to knee and hip injuries. Because of this, she says that she is anxious about her performance, but will not let it interfere with her abilities.

“Last season I was pretty much injured the whole time . . . [so now] I’m very excited and happy that I’ve made it,” she said.

Alongside her passion for running, Keen finds interest in swimming and diving, and she works as a lifeguard when not training for track.

But while she is training, Keen enjoys listening to music by Drake and Travis Scott. When it comes to practice, her focus shifts and she enjoys chatting with other teammates. She also likes to eat pretzel crisps and fruit strips from Trader Joe’s during practice.

Regarding her teammates, Keen expressed love for her entire track family. She shared high praise for her friends on and off the track, Malcolm Goines and Lena Wilson.

“I spend most of my practice with them,” she said.

Keen also shared her admiration for her coaching staff. Citing his “guidance” and “encouragement,” she said her favorite coach is “probably” Head Coach Adam Alderton.

Although the winter season is coming to an end, we can expect to see many more great things from Keen during the upcoming outdoor spring season.

“I’m not at my full potential yet, but I feel like I can get there,” she said.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Theogony
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Alexandria City High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.