The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

ACHS Theatre Department reaches new heights- literally

Titan thespians swap their nun robes for mini-skirts in spring musical Bring It On!
Mariel Carr, Campbell’s understudy, sings during the opening act of Bring It On! / Lola Jeanne Carpio

Although ACHS spring musicals never disappoint, this year’s production of Bring It On! promises to be even more impressive than years prior. The show definitely has some bangers, but choreography seems to be the focal point of the production. With “flyers” and stunts just like in the movie, the Titan Theatre Department aims to reach heights they hadn’t before- literally. Opening night is set for April 5th, so mark your calendars; this is a performance you don’t want to miss. 

Based on the beloved 2000s movies, Bring it On! highlights the competitive and toxic world of cheerleading and the even more so world of high school. The show follows Campbell, played by Maria Mclemore, as she goes from captain of the cheer squad and most popular girl at Truman High to an outsider when she unexpectedly gets transferred to Jackson High School. With plot twists, love stories, and comedy along the way, Campbell helps the Jackson cheer-squad go head-to-head with the Truman squad at Nationals. How does it end, you ask? You’ll have to come see the show and find out! 

Bring It On! has a lot to live up to, considering last year’s musical, Sister Act, was a total hit, receiving several Cappies Awards nominations and selling out shows. As they trade their nun costumes for cheerleading mini-skirts, Titan student actors are excited about what this new, and completely different musical will bring. “This musical is a lot more high energy than last year’s Sister Act, so we have been focusing a lot more on dancing and choreography,” said sophomore Anna McMahon, member of the Bring It On! ensemble. “Stunts have been a big thing- we need to get the stunts right on stage or else it could be dangerous.” 

According to Leslie Jones, executive director of this year’s musical, this level of choreography “has not been seen before on an ACHS stage.” The cast has spent the last month perfecting countless intricate dance numbers involving big cheer stunts, flips, and lifts. Choreographed by Deonte Sharpe, a professional cheer coach, Titan actors have had to quickly familiarize themselves with the world of cheer and jump right into challenging routines. “By the end of the day I’d have these massive bruises the size of an apple on both knees.” Said McMahon, describing the effects of becoming a cheerleader. 

With over 45 student actors and large technical crew, this year’s musical takes an army to pull off. The show comprises huge musical dance numbers, involving everyone in the cast, as well as specially designed sets and costumes. “People coming to see the musical can expect a spectacle.” Said KD Bectal, who is completing their fourth year as a student stage manager at ACHS.  

Such an elaborate show calls for a cast and crew just as diverse, and it’s safe to say everyone who has been a part of the making of the show has had to step out of their comfort zone. Not only do members of the cast have to be athletic enough to pull off their stunts, but they also have to have the pipes to sing while doing them. “The acting students, who are not athletes, are learning what it takes to be a cheerleader. The cheerleading students, who are not actors, are learning what it takes to be an actor.” Said Ms. Jones, Executive Director of the musical. “It’s a different, but fun type of challenge for all of us involved with this production.” 

Although it hasn’t been easy and they still have a lot to do before curtain call, it’s remarkable how committed the cast and crew are to making the show a success. “It’s really moving to see how hard the students are working.” Eliza Gwin, cast member of Bring It On!, said. “We’ve had some setbacks, but every time the students just rally and work really hard to get things together.” As fellow cast members, trust is an important part of pulling off a production, and there’s no better way to build trust with someone than to rely on them catching you from mid-air. “Backing flyers can be scary, but it can also be kind of a bonding experience with the people around you,” said McMahon. It’s clear the ACHS Theater Department is a family, unwavering to challenges and always looking to improve- there’s no doubt that this will reflect in the Bring It On! performances and immediately captivate audiences.