The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

Researching The Research Class

“Opportunities for creative expression,” is how the AP Research class is described by teacher, Sarah Kiyak.  This class allows students to choose a topic of interest and carry out their own research on it. The possibilities of topics can cover a wide range of subjects, from ocean conservation’s impact on climate change to the psychological effects of wilderness therapy. In this class, students are encouraged and taught to transform even the most basic topic into a remarkable research paper.    

“Some of the most interesting research papers I’ve seen students do are papers on gifted education in elementary schools and health care in women’s prisons,” said Kiyak.

This course is unique due to its inclusion in an AP capstone program, which requires completion of the AP Seminar class followed by Research. Graduating with this capstone diploma not only earns an additional cord at graduation, but also opens doors to scholarships, internships and colleges. For the 15,000 students who achieve this each year, new and brighter opportunities await. However, to access these opportunities, one must be prepared to work independently and consistently. 

“The work isn’t necessarily hard, but more so there’s a lot of it. And you basically have to do it all by yourself. It also takes up a lot of time outside of class for things like interviews and collecting data,” said senior Lester Tercero. 

Crafting a 4 to 5,000-word research paper requires time, effort, and patience, especially when conducting original research.  Additionally, presenting your findings and solutions to an audience requires thorough preparation. Despite the initial challenges, this course provides a valuable experience that enhances critical thinking skills and prepares students for college-level research.   

“My paper is on the correlation between immigration detention centers and academic performances, and what I’ve learned is crazy,” said Tercero. “When you first hear about research. you think, ‘Oh that’s just a class on statistics and science.’ But it’s far from that. You can incorporate whatever subject you want into your paper, and as long as you’re passionate about it, you’ll have a lot of fun.”

Initially, the requirements may seem overwhelming, but the best way to reduce stress and prevent burnout is to delve into a subject that brings you joy.   

“In the time that I’ve been teaching this class, my biggest advice to someone who wants to join is to pick a topic that they can already talk a lot about,” said Kiyak.