The Student News Site of Alexandria City High School

Theogony

Theogony

Theogony

Childish Gambino: A Discography Review

Atavistas Album Cover
Atavista’s Album Cover

Donald Glover, whose stage name is Childish Gambino, is a rapper, producer, DJ, stand-up comedian, director, and actor. Glover began his rapping career in 2011, with the release of his debut album, Camp. He has released three other studio albums since then. He also starred in the hit sitcom, Community, and as director, writer, and star of the show Atlanta. Not to mention that he has won a Grammy for his song “Redbone”, as Childish Gambino. Glover got his moniker from a Wu-Tang name generator, funnily enough. Because Gambino released his most recent studio album, Atavista, on May 12, 2024, I decided to review all of his studio albums.

Album cover for Camp

Gambino’s discography begins with his first studio album: Camp, released in 2011. To be frank, Camp is all over the place. From contentious lyrics to one track that sounds like a Disney song, it’s a doozy. These factors, among others, contribute to a somewhat cheesy sound. This could be attributed to the fact that Gambino seems like he’s trying to pull off his best Kanye impression, as many people are quick to point out. Despite many corny elements, Camp is not without its redeeming qualities. Songs like “Bonfire” and “Backpackers” feature an aggressive rapping style from Childish Gambino, with instrumentals and flows that hit just as hard. As for the rest of the album, the production choices are questionable, and even sub-par at times. Unfortunately, the album sounds more like a production of Troy Barnes, Glover’s oddball character on the show Community, rather than that of a serious rapper. Overall, Camp was a bit of a disappointment from someone who had never listened to Childish Gambino before but had heard all the raves about him. It ultimately deserves a 4.5/10.

Album cover for Because the Internet

The differences between Camp and Glover’s next album, Because the Internet are immediately clear. The production quality improves vastly, and coupled with the fact that Gambino begins to carve out his own style, it makes for a much better sound. Songs like “II. No Exit” and “III. Telegraph Ave.” best demonstrate this development. Glover not only grows as an artist but also as a person. Gambino, who presents himself in a very narcissistic way on Camp, drops that pretense on Because the Internet. But even without comparing it to Camp, Because the Internet is a good album in its own right. With great lyricism and diverse production, Gambino really nails it on the head with Because the Internet. The best part about the album is that as it goes on, it gets better with each song. By the end of the album, Gambino’s rapping and production is top-notch. Gambino hits it home with his songs “I. Pink Toes”, “I. Flight of the Navigator”, and “II. No Exit”, overall deserving a 7.5/10.

Album cover for Awaken, My Love!

On his 3rd studio album, Awaken, My Love!, Childish Gambino finally seems to have his voice, which is radically different from what we’ve heard on his previous albums. Gambino adopts a psychedelic neo-soul sound that fits him perfectly. There’s an ethereal vibe to the album that hooks you and reels you in and makes it so you can’t stop listening. Not to mention that the production is immaculate and the lyricism is even better. It’s truly incredible how much Glover has grown as an artist (and as a person), going from corny and superficial to heartfelt and creative. Awaken, My Love! is easily an instant classic, and cements Gambino’s legacy as not only a fantastic actor but a remarkable artist. Glover best shows his versatility with songs like “Redbone” (which he won a Grammy for) and “Stand Tall”. But as with Because the Internet, Awaken, My Love is a great album, even without being compared to Camp. Awaken, My Love! is deserving of an 8.5/10.

Album cover for Atavista

Atavista, which is Childish Gambino’s latest and last album, is a reissue of his 2020 album 3.15.20. Atavista is Gambino at his most mature as an artist. Not only is Atavista a fleshed-out version of 3.15.20, but it’s also a fleshed-out version of Glover as a musician. Although I may sound like a broken record, Gambino truly has come a long way since his first album, Camp. It simply can’t be understated the extent to which Gambino has found his voice, and what a good voice it is. On this album, he collaborates with Ariana Grande, 21 Savage, Ink, Kadhja Bonet, Summer Walker, and Young Nudy, making for a set of dazzling features. Atavista most aligns with the genres of Neo-Soul and Contemporary R&B, reminiscent of his third studio album, Awaken, My Love! Moreover, the production is simply phenomenal, highlighting the veteran artist’s versatility. And though it’s not by much, it would suffice to say that Atavista is Gambino’s best album to date. His ability to create unique, multi-faceted music is simply out of this world, and perhaps it rivals his abilities as an actor, director, and comedian, which are all superb. Overall, Atavista is a 9/10.